Friday, February 4, 2011

Not Just Another Day

I left for work this morning expecting it to just be another regular day. Apparently that wasn't how it was going to be. It all starts with the morning coffee at Tim Hortons. Just like any other day I walk inside, digging for my change and getting ready to stand in line. That's when I hear the women behind the counter say "Don't worry about it Michael, it's already been taken care of. Someone already payed for your coffee and its already made. Happy Birthday" I was quite surprised. I found out that it was one of my co-workers, Julie that had been in earlier and let them know that I would be in shortly. She paid for the coffee and told them to make it for me when I came in. So once I got the coffee, it was pretty much announced to the whole store that it was my birthday. As I went to leave, a woman pushed the door open for me and she said "Happy Birthday!" I had no idea who she was, I had never seen her before. While she held the door open for me there was a gentleman coming into the store, he must have heard, because he held the other door open for me and said "Happy Birthday" I was surprised, I didn't know him either. So for good measure I checked the nearby billboard to make sure it wasn't written there lol.
When I got to work and walked inside, Michelle M. started singing Happy Birthday to me. I got many birthday wishes from co-workers and a few customers. At break time Amy P. handed me a brown paper bag for me. She told me sorry there was no candles lol. I had been bugging all morning about getting cake, and still there was no cake. The closest I came to cake were the two cake donuts that were in the bag Amy had gotten for me. Not too long after break was done, I was back in my department when Dan from bakery approached me and handed me a 4 pack of MARS bars. Dan knows they are my favourite, after getting the MARS bars from Dan I got a package of Ferrero Rocher chocolates from Judy in the Flower Shop. I also got a Tim Hortons card from Julie while upstairs.
After work My brother Sean was driving down to Barrie to have a visit with me. He said he had a card to give me. So while I was walking home he called me to let me know he was close by and that he was going to stop for coffees, so I told him I would meet him at my house. Shortly after that I got another phone call, it was Sherri K. letting me know that after years of bugging her she had finally come through on the banana bread she said she was going to make me. So she was going to swing by my house later to drop it off. She also had spent the day making home made turkey noodle soup, so she was going to bring me a container of that too.
Sean showed up at my house, when he came in he was carrying a read bag, I couldn't see what was inside. All he said was "I brought Dinner lol" There was chocolate cake inside the bag. He also had my card (which he dropped in the driveway and I had to go out and retrieve) Inside the card was another Tim Card. Sean and I visited for a while and then Sherri and her daughter showed up with Banana Bread and soup. She also had a card for me. Inside that card was a $25 gift card for Chapters. (Guess I will have to buy 'paper' books)


So far its been a good birthday. I still have plans for dinner, whenever Steve's sister Pam shows up at my house. And tomorrow I have plans to go out and have a couple of celebratory drinks.. but just a couple, have to be careful at my age. The older I get the longer it takes to recover. So that will be a story for another day.

1 comment:

Andrea L. Cole said...

Did Sean really say LOL? Glad you had a good Birthday Mikey :-)