Monday, February 7, 2011

APPLIANCE REBELLION of 2011

What else could go wrong in this house? Fri/Sat we had issues with the furnace. While out for Dinner on Friday night, the circuit board on the furnace apparently shorted out and burned. Upon returning from dinner later Friday night the entire house smelled of burning plastic. I rushed around the house looking for some signs of smoke or fire or something burning. I couldn't find anything that looked out of place. I couldn't even see smoke in the air. I had given up on looking. It wasn't till after Steve had come home from driving his sister to the airport. He got home and started investigating the furnace and located the smell. We didn't know the extent of the damage, we just assumed it was the blower motor had burned out. The furnace still turned on and heated up, and then would just itself down. The following day we put in a call to Direct Energy to have them send someone out to look at it. In the mean time we would be without any heat. Direct Energy told us it would be Sunday between 3pm - 8pm before someone could be here. We spent the afternoon sitting around the house with the oven on and the oven door open to let some heat out. Lucky for us there was a guy in the area around 4pm that could come and look at it. When he showed up for the inspection that's when he found the burned out circuit board. He had the parts in his vehicle and was able to swap them out. He showed us the old circuit board, it was charred pretty good. So it was great, because we had heat once more.
After we dealt with the furnace guy, we decided to go out for a few things. One thing being some Febreeze to spray the furnace filter to eliminate the odour of burned plastic that was now recirculating the house. We asked Mikayla to take the whites that were in the washing machine and put them in the dryer. Just another day right…?
Sunday morning, after waking up with a decent hangover, and knowing that I had to work just after 3pm, I went to the basement to get my work shirts out of the dryer. I figured they should be dry by now. I When I opened the dryer, there was a sock hanging in there in front of the opening. It was jammed in between the dryer housing and the drum. Took me a couple of mins to get it pulled out. It was also wet. So I looked at the other clothes in the dryer, they too were wet. And not just damp either. They were sopping wet! There was a puddle in the bottom of the dryer at least an inch deep. How does that happen without someone saying "Oh I think there is something wrong here!"? Apparently the clothes were left soaking wet in the washing machine, and then transferred to the dryer that way. So being so wet and heavy, they didn't dry in the dryer and the sock got jammed in the side and torn to shreds.
So now this meant, maybe something is wrong with the washing machine. If the clothes were that wet going into the dryer, then obviously something happened in the washing machine that caused it, maybe the washer top was left open, or someone opened it during the spin cycle? Oh no, these occurrences were just wishful thinking. After filling the washing machine partially to run a short cycle, the agitator didn't move at all. It just sat there motionless and humming… GREAT! So now I figured ok maybe something is stuck around the shaft under the agitator. So I drain the washing machine and remove the agitator. Yeah thats right, I used tools and stuff. LOL. Everything was fine under the agitator, no stray socks or threads. Turns out, the motor just decided it wasn't going to work anymore!
Steve's mother agreed to give us the money to go out and purchase a new Washer/Dryer. So thats the good thing. I don't do laundromats. I've watched enough TV/Movies to see what kind of crazy shit takes place in your local laundromat. No Thank You. For now I will just wash my underwear at home by hand lol!
Maybe I am seeing conspiracies where they do not exist, but don't you find it kind of weird that in the same weekend there are furnace problems and the washing machine dies, and they are both located 6 feet away from one another? There is some kind of appliance revolt I think thats starting in this house So in two days we had two major appliance malfunctions. I can only imagine whats going to go next. I got my eye on that Dishwasher in case it steps out of line!

1 comment:

Andrea L. Cole said...

The machines are not to be trusted.